<$BlogRSDURL$>

constructions

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

mms again

I had just finished my post about newspapers using mms-photos on Friday, when a reporter from TV2 called me and asked whether I could explain why Norwegians have sent so many mms-messages this summer. The answers are kind of obvious, but ok, I don't mind being the one who indicates why that may be. Besides, the reporter wanted to know what social consequences extensive use of MMS might have. This is obviously more difficult to answer. I answered a lot of questions, indicating that free-periods and generally lower prices for mms-messages have been important as more people establish patterns of use. We need some time to integrate this new service into our everyday lives and to see what functions we give them. We send SMS-messages to co-ordinate our lives, and clearly MMS-messages differ somewhat from how we use text-messages this way. I believe the different functions of SMS vs MMS are rather important and interesting. However, although there might be differences in functions, the fact that we are already used to sending text-messages, makes it easier to start using MMS-messages. The banal fact that more people have camera-phones, and that technical problems are now rare have had their consequences as well. I talked abot how people have their phones with them all the time, and that this actually make people document their lives with photos of experiences or plain everyday happenings in a new way. I said a lot more as well, and I said the same things in different ways. Anyway, I knew I would probably end up saying one or two sentences on the nine o'clock news. They did a rather nice job editing though, and I was pleased with my TV-debut. TV-debut in this context though. I once chose and introduced a Fatboy Slim- video on MTV-id/MTV-Nordic (didn't see that though).

I have had my Nokia 6230 for two months, and I do take somewhat different photos with my phone than with my camera. Basically because I have my phone with me all the time. Of some reason I kind of like the low-quality pictures. I don't send them a lot though. I generally bluetooth things between phone - powerbook - phone. I love bluetooth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment