<$BlogRSDURL$>

constructions

Thursday, August 25, 2005

youth researching youth

Next Tuesday I'm going to Fredrikstad to talk with pupils at Glemmen upper secondary school. They are one of six schools that are part of this year's The Holberg Prize school projects in which youth research youth. At Glemmen, they have chosen "youth and media influences" as their primary research theme. The pupils have formed three groups with the following approaches:
1. Are young people dependent on mass media? How do they cope living without?
2. What are the differences between the means of communication for youth today compared to those of their parents?
3. What media do youth use to develop love-affairs, and how are they used.

There is a lot to be said about the research questions they have chosen, and whether they are appropriately formulated. My assignment is to guide the pupils, and to give them an introductory talk about researching such themes. My own phd-project is clearly relevant, and I will obviously give examples from my work. I'm also supposed to talk about methodological approaches. Guess they'll have a few questions to ask as well. Cool project though.

2 Comments:

Blogger Luca said...

What a nice project!
I'm quite sure pupils nowadays have have lot of self observing skills (developed in the media-relationship), so it would be a great opportunity. I don't feel very confortable with the idea of media- dependency, but the whole thing is really nice.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot!
» »

4:35 AM  

Post a Comment