<$BlogRSDURL$>

constructions

Thursday, April 15, 2004

evil TV

Another newletter I've never (consciously) subscribed to. This time from adbusters: "The media's [read TV] role in this cultural vaudeville? To feed the spectacle with one-way stories, infotainment and mind-numbing hype. To keep us amused, but rarely informed or inspired. How can we move past this malaise, beyond the hollow din of reality shows and celebrity news, and back to a life that matters?

Call it ironic, call it poetic, but people tell of strange things happening when they tune out their screens; they tune back into life. "I rediscovered Vivaldi and Vonnegut and found I have a lot less spare time," says one. "I've been doing so many more things." Another says, "I learned that my wife hums in the shower, which is so cute. I guess I never could hear it over the TV."


Hey, I like my TV! It doesn't mean I don't love music, literature or appreciate my boy-friend's oddities. April 19-25 is the official TV turnoff week. I would probably tape a few of my favourite programs. That would be cheating I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment