<$BlogRSDURL$>

constructions

Friday, March 18, 2005

me and my selves

I spent the afternoon/early evening with philosophers discussing among others chapter 1 from Espen Aarseths book Cybertext, a Sherry Turkle-article: "Who am we" and Jean Baudrillard's classic "Simulacra and simulations". The discussions were ok, and I'm especially impressed by Hallvard Fossheim who managed to make some sort of sense of Baudrillard. I'm somewhat suprised by the discussion of the Turkle-article though. "Who am we" is sort of a very brief and even more popularised version of her Life on the screen. I'm not very provoked by her postmodern/poststructuralist theories of multiple selves. I just reckon it's part of the early 90's virtuality frenzy. But in this constellation of people her theoretical foundation (or lack thereof) was perceived as inadequate and deficient and seemed to seriously annoy certain people. Guess I'm just too ignorant to care.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment