<$BlogRSDURL$>

constructions

Monday, May 09, 2005

norwegian-finnish

Yesterday I finally finished Kari Hotakainen's bestselling book Juoksuhaudantie. In Finnish. It has been difficult but well worth it. I'm sort of bilungual: mom is from Lahti/Finland and made sure that my sisters and I learnt Finnish. In January 1995 I left my hometown Tønsberg. 10 years without using Finnish on an everyday basis is no good. I definitely need to make an effort to keep up my language skills. It's so sad to loose languages. Especially when they're part of who you are.

4 Comments:

Blogger Luca said...

10 years without using finnish is long time. Especially for such a complex language as finnish. I spent some month in Tampere few years ago and I was able to carry on simple (very simple) conversations... yesterday I met a group of Finnish in my home town and all I remembered was Kiitos! (I'm not even sure if the spelling is correct!)

10:56 AM  
Blogger Marika said...

I remember meeting a friend of my sister in Helsinki a couple of years ago. Honestly, I hardly understood a word of what he said as he was speaking very quickly. Luckily, I usually do understand. I need to increase my vocabulary though.

Luca, you're spelling is perfect :-)

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what's finnish? you guys live in Norway, don't you? So let me think ... you must speak something called "norvegian" hey?!?! and finnish must be spoken in Finland. But what's Finland? mmm ... I'm pretty confused, never been that good at geography but this is too much. I gotta read something about "the north". Think it's a place that could fit to my personality. Listen, but then you are not just bilingual ... I mean ... what's the freak language you use for the thoughts written here. Isn't it english? shit! I'm not good at geography but I love maths; that's to say you are at least 3-lingual. I know ... I've spoken too much. Sorry guys. Gonna buy a geography book

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

funny I have been following your stuff from finland but didnt know you were - really a fin!!!!

Ok maybe it explains something...


University of Lapland

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment