<$BlogRSDURL$>

constructions

Thursday, May 19, 2005

take care of presence

Dirty shoes In Saved from oblivion Andreas Kitzmann discusses the seemingly random and careless consumption of private photographs. How photographs have typically been given a cursory glance and then put away. I've always been fond of looking back at pictures from the past. I am, after all, a true nostalgic. As such, I don't quite recognize Kitzmann's description of common patterns of consuming photos, but he may very well be right: I guess there is a difference between I and the general We. Next question is obviously: what about digital photographs? We take a lot more photographs, and we bring our cameras with us more often. But how does the digital camera affect practices of archiving photos? It's definitely easy to over-emphasise the significance of services like Flickr. Most people do not archive and share their photos online.

I remember the feeling when I thought I lost all of my Costa Rica photos. I hadn't lost them. But photos are not safe in the digital shoebox of your computer.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I´m so happy that you take photos and then share them with us. It´s good to know that someone are saving "memories" of our family.
Miss you all!

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey ... I do remember this pic! I saw it 4 the first time when, a couple of months ago, I had a quick look at the whole set of pictures you had taken somewhere around the world. That time, as well as today, my first thought was: what the hell did she do with that poor pair of nike? did she eviscerate anybody?

4:17 PM  
Blogger Luca said...

Maybe photos are just shifting their "role".
Flickr is not a "online photo album" as well blogs are not "online diaries". Flickr and Blogs supposed audience that Diaries and Photo album did not.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Marika said...

of course you're right Luca, online photo-albums and blogs definitely have more extensive roles than their physical siblings. Sharing is fun. And, bonus, makes it possible to share some parts of my life with my sister in Finland.

Nourdine, my nikes are clean again :-) but I wouldn't recommend trainers for jungle-hiking...

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment