<$BlogRSDURL$>

constructions

Monday, October 02, 2006

conference highlights Friday


Vernacular Creativity
Originally uploaded by Felix42.
Daniel Skog gave a very interesting presentation on Friday morning. His PhD-project is an etnographic study of the Swedish online community LunarStorm. He emphasised that technology shapes social interaction, and referred to one specific redesign of the functionality of LunarStorm as a case to illustrate how the social outcomes of technological design cannot easily be predicted.

John Hartley's key-note was of particular interest to me as he focused a lot on young people's creative use of social technologies. Fun and lively.

I looked forward to the panel Jean Burgess was leading - 'Creativity and its discontents: critical perspectives on the cultural economy of new media'. Jean focused on vernacular literacy, emphasising the importance of creative and expressive competencies of individual users (competences that are far from 'natural'). 'You push the button, we do the rest' has become 'we provide the buttons, you do the rest' (hm, she rephrased the Kodak slogan, but I'm not quite sure I remember how she rephrased it).

I had my own presentation on Friday, in the same session as Arne Krokan and Darren Sharp. It was ok, at least I really tried not to put too much content into my allocated 22 minutes. I hope my new conference-friends did not feel obliged to come and listen though, thanks for showing up! Darren works with Touch-related research questions, he should get in touch with Timo (and vice versa).

Conference dinner: very enjoyable
Drinks after conference dinner: fun
More drinks in Valley with Denise Rall and Jean: serious fun


Technorati tag:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your assessment re: the continuum of fun!

PS you nearly got my slogan right. I think it was "here are the buttons, you do the rest".

6:14 AM  
Blogger Marika said...

That's a good and rather accurate slogan I think :-)

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok now i am *SO* jealous!

glad it went well, now enjoy your holiday!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Marika said...

No holiday for me quite yet, though of course my stay won't be all work and no play :-D

2:47 AM  

Post a Comment