<$BlogRSDURL$>

constructions

Thursday, March 22, 2007

computers and time

So I have this silly personal hypothesis. Computers affect the experience of time. It is of course related to the fact that time appears to pass more quickly when you're having fun (such as my experience of time at the magnificent Dolly Parton concert a week ago - oh, it was wonderful). The difference is I'm not necessarily having fun when I work with computers - yet time passes so quickly.

I have no other explanation for the fact that the years 2001-2007 ("my adult working life") feels like a much shorter period than 1995-2001 (student-years, when I generally didn't spend the whole day in front of a computer). It could of course be related to the fact that I'm getting older. I've also considered whether time actually passes more quickly than before.

But I like boring-time. Maybe I need to log off.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger iacob said...

Time passed is often measured in amount of memories from that particular period.

So I think this may have something to do with the fact that you experience less as an office worker than as a student, and thus have fewer memories.

You need to get out more.

:)

11:57 AM  
Blogger trine said...

i often find that if i sit down on my laptop, connected to the internet, hours fly by without me even noticing. question is, have i done anything prodictive? i try to *work* with the airport turned off.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Marika said...

Yes of course, thank you Iacob, I need to get a life :D

And Trine, that sounds familiar. Though to log on to my office-computer I need to be online, so there's no escape.

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment