<$BlogRSDURL$>

constructions

Friday, December 09, 2005

software for qualitative data

I've downloaded TAMS Analyzer, an open source program for coding and analyzing qualitative data such as interview transcripts. I've handcoded and analysed interviews before, but TAMS is certainly a much more flexible and effective way to work with the interviews. Linda Duits phd-student in Amsterdam, originally recommended MaxQDA, but it's only for PCs. However, I can't believe TAMS is a much worse option, the possibilities seem endless, and the program provides much more than I will ever need to use.

My analyses will now be even better! Though, first I have to spend (quite) a few hours (a few days actually) to code the interviews.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think David (my now about to submit his phd-husband) played around with Tams for a while a few years ago, so if you need any hints of tips, I'd be happy to ask him for you....

12:36 PM  
Blogger Marika said...

oh, you're too kind :-)

I'm very happy I was convinced to give it a try, and I know for sure it will improve my analysis. Definitely interesting when it comes to discussing qualtitative approaches in relation to reliability and the importance of interpretation.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Alina said...

Hello, Marika! I got to your blog after reading a paper of yours (got it using google.scholar). It is called "Conceptualising personal media" and was planning to use it for my license paper(will soon be a Journalism graduate and my main theme is blogs). Yet I just realized it is marked as a draft version and was just wondering if there is a final version that can be cited. Here's the link I used:
http://www.media.uio.no/personer/marikal/personal_media/conceptualising.pdf

Thanks a lot!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Marika said...

Kayla! oops, I removed the link from the home-page, but I apparently I haven't removed the document. This is defintely an old version... I'll send you a near-final version to your yahoo-adress, which I'm about to submit and hope to get published. I guess you can cite it as 'unpublished article-manuscript'.

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unnskyld meg, men hvorfor bruker du ikke bare Virtual PC for Mac, koster en drøy tusing og gir deg i prinsippet tilgang til alle programmer på Windows.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Marika said...

En tusing her og en tusing der :-)nei, det er sikkert en god ide. Men jeg er jo veldig fornoeyd med TAMS akkurat i denne sammenhengen.

3:36 AM  

Post a Comment