<$BlogRSDURL$>

constructions

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Superstreng

I still find it utterly uncomfortable to talk on radio. But you know, I guess the practice is valuable. Or rather, I don't find it very uncomfortable to talk, but to listen to myself afterwards. A couple of weeks ago I visited Eirik Newth's "Superstreng"-show, and we were of course talking about social networking services, especially Facebook. Kind of common sense stuff. Here's the podcast. It's in Norwegian of course.

Facebook is highly profiled as vicious by the mass media these days. They apparently exploit all your personal information and intend to use your private photos in commercial campaigns. Or something. If you know Norwegian, you might want to read Ove Skåra's answers to readers of the Norwegian tabloid VG. Skåra represents the Norwegian Data Inspectorate.

I don't have the time to comment. Obviously, I have read Facebook's terms of service. My short answer is that mediated practices are experienced as so meaningful that they outweigh the perceived threats to privacy.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

experienced by whom?

and what when the threats to our privacy doesn't come from the state, but from - some potential future - multinational corporation? which, lets face it, most people dont' even think about, let alone fully understand. and most people *don't* read the ToS, which, on facebook, are pretty insane.

at which point does the balance tip, (cos surely at some point, it must?)

4:54 PM  
Blogger Peter Jones said...

I can't understand Norwegian, but do persevere with the radio. I'm just about to start a second podcast ('audio file' - bi-annual at this rate). First time did it in one take 26 minutes - not recommended. Looking f/w to the next - will use the software this time...
Very stylish blog too.
Best wishes
Peter
http://hodges-model.blogspot.com/

5:15 PM  
Blogger Marika said...

The terms of service of Facebook are kind of... formulated in a way, which makes it difficult for me to understand what they can do and can't do. Reading the actual answers from Ove Skåra, shows that he is a lot more nuanced in his warnings than some of the headlines that have appeared in the Norwegian tabloids would indicate.

I, for one, don't quite know what to believe. I do feel "safer" in Flickr, Underskog and my own blog.

6:24 PM  
Blogger trine said...

By agreeing to Facebook's ToS, you give them permission to reproduce, store or sell all your information in perpetuity.

that doens't make me feel safe.

and you've probably seen this already :)

http://www.albumoftheday.com/facebook/

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Marika, I keep meeting people that say me: "Ehi. I saw you're commenting on Marika's Blog.." This time was during Game in' Action Conference! :-)

7:08 PM  
Blogger Marika said...

Oh, that's cool, I like it. Btw, I wish I'd been at the Game in Action conference, lots of great people attending I heard :)

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment