<$BlogRSDURL$>

constructions

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

mediate/immediate

Lately, I have sometimes been using "immediate interaction" to describe face-to-face interaction, though I'm not at all sure whether it is an appropriate term. According to the Wordnet Database, immediate can be defined as "having no intervening medium", which is of course how I think of it as opposed to mediated interaction. Clearly, I am aware that communication is never immediate, but, in face-to-face situations, always mediated through the body, language, speech, non-verbal signs. I do like the online/offline distinction, but this is not always appropriate as I also discuss communication mediated through phones and even postal letters.

I can't believe I barely have six weeks left to finish my thesis. I will make it, but it feels weird. The last three years have been wonderful.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This makes me think of Lombard and Ditton's article on the notion of presence, which they claim depends on intimacy and immediacy. It's available here: http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol3/issue2/lombard.html.

Good luck with your thesis!

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment