<$BlogRSDURL$>

constructions

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

myclimate

The sky above I don't like flying. It doesn't go very well with green values, and I really try to make an effort when it comes to living a green life (e.g. being a vegetarian, intending never to own a car, loving bicycles). I just don't seem to be able to avoid airplanes. This is where myclimate comes in (mittklima.no, myclimate.co.uk, myclimate.com) by providing a chance to balance the damage done: buy a climate ticket according to the distance travelled and support climate protection projects that aims to replace fossil fuels with renewable energy sources. Information about the supported projects can be found on the myclimate websites.

There were a few critical voices when myclimate was discussed on Underskog (members only), but I really dislike when people criticise others for trying to make a tiny difference. No, this won't save the world. Yes, I will feel sligthly better when I fly to Tromsø on Saturday.

2 Comments:

Blogger a blogger said...

Hallo Marika

You may have seen my 2004 attempt to start a no-flying movement.... (No-Fly Zone).

I don't think I have recruited many members yet, but then I haven't really pushed the idea.

Just came across your blog (via my webstats which show someone coming to my blog from yours) and noticed that you are at least to some extent a kindred spirit...

But then of course you're flying off to Brisbane in September - I assume that's Brisbane Australia, not Brisbane in the suburbs of Tromsø.

Goes with the academic life, I suppose. My current job (cycling around a bit) makes it a bit easier to avoid flying.

Forgive me if I skip the David Holmes piece for today.

Do you know Asmund, incidentally? (Norway's a small country, right?)

Take care up there,

Edward Genochio
England-China-UK by bicycle... apparently

9:09 AM  
Blogger Marika said...

"to some extent a kindred spirit..." You're absolutely right Edward. I have no reason to brag about living a green life. I've already travelled to the other side of the world one time in 2006 (Vietnam), and as you say, I'm on my way to Brisbane.

myclimate-ticket for Oslo - Brisbane - Oslo: 1113 NOK, or 182 $. Guess that's just the price I'll have to pay.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment