<$BlogRSDURL$>

constructions

Monday, October 23, 2006

a sad story

"So you don't have a warranty or apple-care?"
"No, but I don't care, just fix it!"

I've been having trouble with the screen on my powerbook for at least a year and a half. It starts flickering, but I can usually fix it by pushing and pressing on the right places. On Friday however, the screen seemed to have totally given up on me. So now I've handed it in for service. I hope there's a problem with the cable, and not really the screen, and I hope to have my beloved computer back before too long. Please, please, please.

Funny thing is, after working for about 10 minutes on "my" QUT-computer, it died as well. Hardware-failure. Somebody from the IT helpdesk has already picked it up, until they figure out what's wrong I'm borrowing another computer.

edit:
This story is now truely a tragedy. According to Infinite Systems they have to change the LCD panel, making it very expensive to repair my computer: AU $1011! That's like the same price as functioning three year old powerbooks are sold for. RIP?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you could use it as an excuse to upgrade to one of the new MacBooks - probably better than spending a lot on something you'll need to replace before too long anyway.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Marika said...

I know, MacBook is tempting. But it's so not right that computers have such a short life-span, I have previously written about computers and environment. I haven't given up though - I seriously do not think the LCD panel is the problem, I think it's an intermittent connection.

12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so tragic - I hope you find a good solution soon.

I love the description of 'pushing and pressing on the right places'. After dropping my iBook once, and another time sending it smashing to the floor when trying to leap off the bed to answer the phone and in the process tripping over the power cable, I am now used to twisting the power plug 'just right' to get it in, and 'pushing and pressing on the right places' to get the lid to close. sigh. And every time I see the lid wobbling around, I worry about the little cables connecting the LCD to the hard drive...and I pray to the Apple God to just let it all hang together until I finish my thesis...

12:08 AM  
Blogger Marika said...

I have a feeling most computers just barely survive their owner's PhD-thesis... Anyway, clearly we should be allowed to drop our laptops to the floor occassionally, or in my case, bring it back and forth to work in nice and secure bicycle-panniers.

I'm waiting inpatiently for the final verdict on my powerbook.

2:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you could always connect it via the adapter to a QUT monitor...? but then you'd need a new monitor for home as well, which doesn't work so well for working out on your deck in your New Home in the Leafy Suburbs ;)

2:16 AM  
Blogger Marika said...

Yeah, it's not the end of the world (just a material thing right), and I'm quite sure I'll figure something out. Lasse arrives tomorrow :-D and he will have his computer with him, but I want mine of course (and his is not set up for the very secure wireless of my lessors)

Actually the deck in my new suburbian home is just perfect for, eh, working, it has a roof, and hence not a sun/screen problem.

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment