<$BlogRSDURL$>

constructions

Monday, December 04, 2006

can I take and publish your photo, please?

For early in the history of photography, there was a series of judicial decisions that could well have changed the course of photography substantially. Courts were asked whether the photographer, amateur or professional, required permission before he could capture and print whatever image he wanted. Their answer was no (Lawrence Lessig: Free Culture: 33).

Pretty interesting, right? Especially considering how digital network technology changes what we do with our photographs. I might not have to ask for permission to take somebody's photograph, yet in principle I have to ask for permission before I publish it online. According to the Norwegian Data Inspectorate I don't have to ask for permission for publishing "situation photographs", that is, photographs where the actual situation or activity is the primary content of the photo (such as concerts, sports events). However, if I take a photo of somebody particular, I need to ask if it's ok before I upload it to the web.

Usually I don't. I do take care not to publish compromising photos of course.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the problem here is how to decide what is compromising and what is not. A couple of friends clubbing is compromising? well, it depends if all the girl/boyfriends were aware of the fact. (that's a trival example, I know.) Online picture publishing let your life be observed from everybody everywhere.

Did I told you that I met Ragnhild Tronstad while I was in Bergen a month ago? She asked me if I was the Luca commenting in your blog... funny how small the world is.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Marika said...

You're quite right. Talking of photos, I have of course looked at Jill's photos from your World of Warcraft-workshop in Bergen, especially paying attention to the shooting-session. I hence knew you met Ragnhild there, she's cool!

11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the shooting session! :) I try to remove it from my mind.. my score was so bad!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Marika said...

Ha, ha :D Those photos are surely compromising!

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment